Tips for Auditioning
Auditions for Main Stage productions are held prior to each show, four times each year. Performance troupe auditions are held every January and August. Cast members make an initial audition and attend a callback before they’re selected.
EVCT makes the audition experience kid-friendly. It strives to create a low-pressure learning environment for children. All of the directors involved with auditions and production have extensive experience working with youth. The audition process is about teaching kids how to audition, practicing, doing their best and showing the directors what they’re looking for. Auditions are open to any kids in the community—children don’t necessarily have to be enrolled in EVCT acting classes or camps.
- Plan to be at the audition a little bit ahead of schedule—you don’t want your child to feel rushed.
- Make sure your child has eaten before meeting with the director and had a good night’s sleep—kids need their energy and this will help prevent them from fidgeting.
- Get context for the scenes by reading the whole script.
- Don’t worry about clothing, hair or breakdowns too much. Character guides are just that—guides, and forcing a certain look or attitude will feel inauthentic.
- Don’t coach your child down to every gesture. Let them focus on listening, tone and facial expressions and the director will do the coaching once your child is cast in the troupe or production.
2021-2022 Main Stage Season of Shows at EVCT
Marion and the Merry Men, a new legend of Robin Hood
by C. Lynn Johnson
May 9 & 10, 5 pm for age 8-11 and 7 pm age 12-18
Callback Auditions May 11 at 6 pm
At the EVCT Rehearsal Studio, 4501 E Main St, Mesa
No advanced preparation is necessary, come dressed for movement and wear closed toed shoes
Synopsis of the Story
Marion may still be a maid, but she is her own hero. When she learns of a nefarious scheme, Marion escapes to Sherwood Forest where she meets the one and only Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men. However, their reputation doesn’t quite meet reality and Marion must help lead them against the Sheriff of Nottingham and Prince John – saving England and into a legend! The story you know and love, but with a fresh perspective the whole family will love.
Additional information is available by calling the EVCT office at 480-756-3828.
Cast of Characters
Marion, a brave maid
Guy of Gisbourne, a conspirator
Prince John, seeking the crown
Sheriff of Nottingham, another conspirator
Bess, a Lady and campanion to Marion
Sybil, Another Lady and companion to Marion
Margery, Another Lady and companion to Marion
Alana Dale, a Minstrel
Sister Agnus, a harsh nun and chaperone
Hugh, A nobleman and sycophant of Prince John
Humphrey, Another nobleman and sycophant of Prince John
Noblewomen (2) and or peasants
Noblemen (2) and or peasants
Robin Hood, of legend
Will Scarlet, Robin’s oldest friend and a Merry Man
Little John, not so little and a Merry Man
Much, a small Merry Man
Friar Tuck, a Merry Man and ally to Marion
Winnie, a spy from Sherwood Camp
Mary, another spy from Sherwood Camp
Sarah, the final spy from Sherwood Camp
Berta, a washer woman from Sherwood Camp
Golda, a midwife and healer from Sherwood Camp